As Bollywood continues to thrive with its action-packed movie formula, Hollywood is grappling with the aging superhero genre, and Disney’s upcoming series ‘Daredevil: Born Again’ doesn’t seem to offer an immediate solution to the situation.
Bollywood is once again in the limelight, propelled by recent action blockbusters like “Pathan” and “Jawan”, which not only dominated the Indian box office but also gained global attention.
However, the current state of Hollywood’s beloved superhero movies paints a contrasting picture. This year, both Marvel (Disney) and DC (Warner Bros) faced significant challenges with their superhero movies and OTT series.
While Bollywood awaits the promising releases of ‘Tiger 3’, ‘Ganpath’ and ‘Kalki 2898AD’, ensuring a bright future for action films, the Hollywood superhero genre remains shrouded in uncertainty. Marvel’s “Daredevil: Born Again,” slated for release on Disney+, has undergone a last-minute creative overhaul, raising further concerns about its fate.
What’s the fuss about Daredevil?
- According to the Hollywood Reporter,Marvel’s upcoming Disney+ series Daredevil: Born Again recently replaced head writers Chris Ord and Matt Corman.
- Marvel is now looking for fresh talent to revitalize the show.
- Ord and Corman will retain their positions as executive producers.
Additionally, due to the SAG-AFTRA strike, Marvel had to release the remaining episode directors before even completing half of the 18-episode season.
Although they plan to incorporate some previously filmed material, they are exploring a new creative direction for the series.
“We’re trying to marry Marvel culture with traditional TV culture.”
– Brad Winderbaum, head of streaming, television and animation at Marvel.
Why do superheroes fight?
Marvel and DC movies have been big disappointments in both theaters and streaming services. The majority of this year’s superhero movies on the big screen have been resounding failures.
Some of the movies that performed terribly at the Box office are:
- Blue beetle
- Ant Man and the Wasp: Quantamania
- Shazam: Fury of the Gods
Some of the reasons that may perfectly hint at the failure of these superhero movies are:
- Lack of focus on the script and putting all the work on loud and flashy VFX.
- Using the same decades-old formula as current movies.
- Pulling in too many comic book elements, which sometimes overwhelms the film.
“Falls down a lot. Unapologetic alcohol guru. Travel specialist. Amateur beer trailblazer. Award-winning tv advocate. Hipster-friendly twitter aficionado”